Sunday, November 14, 2010

CSE 624 Three Lesson Mini Unit, Part 3 and Assessment (with reflection)

Lesson 3 Objective: As a result of this lesson, first graders will be able to count like groupings of pennies, nickels and dimes.
Oregon State Math Standards:1.1 Develop an understanding of whole number relationships, including grouping in tens and ones.
1.1.5 Determine the value of like groupings of pennies, nickels and dimes.
Oregon Technology Common Curriculum Goal:ET.6 Technology Operations and Concepts: students utilize technology concepts and tools to learn.
Materials for the lesson:The list of coin features and color photos created in lesson 1.
Money song written on chart paper from lesson 2.
10-12 each of gray crayons and brown crayons (paper removed).
Two class sets of 8.5x5.5 white copy paper.
Dozens of plastic coins (penny, nickel, dime).
Document camera, projection screen, internet access.
Computer lab with internet access.
Money song written on chart paper from lesson 2.
In the classroom (40-45 minutes):Begin the lesson on the carpet area. Have students do a think, pair, share about what they remember about coin names and values. Revisit the features chart and sing the money song two or three times. Tell students that tomorrow they will pretend to shop for items in a store. And that today they will make price tags for the items.
Model how to make a coin rubbing on the white paper (just like a leaf rubbing). Rubbings must be like groupings of no more than 5 coins. Students should make two different rubbings. Each rubbing should also have the total value of the coins written on it (the price). Remind them to include heads and tails in their rubbings.
Circulate the room, helping to troubleshoot and asking guiding questions about coin features, value and total value of the rubbing.
As students are wrapping up the rubbings portion of the lesson, gather them back at carpet to watch the new game on the screen that they will play in the lab next. Show:

http://www.primarygames.com/Spending%20Spree/start.htm
Play the game together for a few minutes and then head to the lab.
In the computer lab (10-15 minutes):After the students are logged in and playing the game, circulate the room helping to troubleshoot and asking guiding questions, such as “what is the name of that coin?” and “how much is a ______ worth?” and “how much money is in that box?”
In the classroom (5-10 minutes):Meet back at carpet and discuss coin features and values again. End by singing the money song and previewing the price tags for tomorrow’s shopping activity.
 
Assessment options:Informal observation.By watching students during think pair, share and during lab time, determine which students have a firm grasp of the objectives ( to identify a penny, nickel, and dime; to identify the value of a penny, nickel, and dime; to count like groupings of pennies, nickels and dimes), and which need intervention.
One-on-one meeting. If more data is needed to determine whether a few students did in fact meet the objectives of the lesson, pull them individually for an oral assessment using plastic coins.
Ask the student to identify the name and value of each coin (penny, nickel, dime) and then ask him or her to count like grouping of coins.
Reflection:In the past I have taught using all of the items in the lessons (except the websites). Students always seem to like seeing real life photos of coins and using the plastic coin manipulatives. They also love doing the coin rubbings.
I was happy to have 2 weeks to complete this assignment, because I did in fact teach these lessons in my room. I have taught these standards for first grade several times now, but never with these websites. I do not have hard data from past years to prove it (and of course all classes are different) but I do FEEL like my students mastered these standards quicker and more easily than in past years. They also had a blast in the computer lab.
I taught this mini unit much earlier in the year than I typically would, but it still went quite well. I feel that having another tool (websites and computers) at their disposal gave the learners in my room another opportunity to explore and master the standards.
I used the informal observation assessment method and then pulled two kids for a verbal assessment. However, I will not be running intervention groups with these students yet. My whole team will be teaching money standards in the spring. My kids will have a head start!


Copyright, acceptable use and accessibility reflection:

I feel comfortable with my mini unit in the areas of copyright, acceptable use and accessibility. I have made sure I am only using the technology in the ways in which it was intended. Because I know my student population I know that the lessons are accessible to my learners. As it is a mini unit designed by me, I can easily adjust the components for accessibility when needed in future years.

No comments:

Post a Comment